Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Ginger Pecan Scones

The time has come for me to stop eating other's scones and actually make my own........ here we go.

Ginger-Pecan Scones (adapted from Bon Appetit)

3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 c sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
12 Tbs (1 1/2 sticks) chilled butter, cut into cubes.
1 1/2 c pecan halves, toasted and chopped
1/2 c crystallized ginger- chopped
1 cup buttermilk
3 tsp fresh ginger- finely grated
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 Tbs buttermilk
1 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs crystallized ginger- chopped
2 tsp ground ginger

-Preheat oven to 425 (FYI- I usually toast nuts at 350....(that's what she said)). Put some parchment (or aluminum foil with a little oil) on a baking sheet.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, salt and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Add the butter. Using fingers or a pastry cutter, mix the butter with the flour mixture until is resembles a meal.
- Throw in the pecans and crystallized ginger, mix.
- Whisk buttermilk, grated ginger and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Form a well in the flour mixture, pour the buttermilk into the well and stir with a fork until it's in moist clumps.
- Knead just until the dough comes together on a lightly floured surface.
- Form into a disc, cut into wedges, transfer to sheet.
- Brush with buttermilk, sprinkle sugar and ground ginger and press the crystallized ginger to the tops of the scones.
- Bake until golden, about 15 mins.

- Eat.


Things to try next time:
More ginger- all kinds.
Maybe stew some dates in brandy and add that... (melting pot strikes again).
I've often kneaded scones in powdered sugar. I didn't here because I was lacking in that department and didn't want to go to the store. I think it would make it a tad too sweet.
In the Valentines recipe search- I'm going to try bread flour next time and see if that makes them more crusty.


Spinning:
Finally had some time to sit down and listen to the new Deathcab for Cutie and Eddie Veder.

Deathcab- They do "deathcab" well and they did it again here. It's been done already. I would love to see them branch out a little more.

I'm not a huge Pearl Jam fan, but I'm digging solo Eddie Veder and a ukulele. I think I'm adding this disc to my "sit in a hammock, drink PBR, listen to sad songs (country, bluegrass, Elliott Smith, Nick Drake, Vic Chesnutt, Bon Iver etc...) and cry" repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment