Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Winner Winner Chicken? Dinner

Funny story.
I got some meat from Fiona (one of my fellow theatre interns). Her parents have a farm/hunt in Fairbanks, so because I have met the person that raised and killed the animals, I deemed the meat worthy.

So, Fiona gave me a bag of frozen chicken from their farm and at the time, I thought "I never knew chicken could grow so large. There must be something in the air up north?" These were some monstrous chicken legs, but I was told it was chicken and followed blindly.

It seems like everyone has been talking about adobo lately (There have been some end-of-night runs to the Valley Restaurant lately). So I decided to use my chicken to make some.
But I'd never had it before.
This was a true KDP experiment.

To make a not-so long story shorter: I drank wine, I made the chicken adobo, I tried the chicken adobo and realized it was turkey.
Looking at the photos, the only explanation I have is that I'm a dumbass. 


There was some tofu adobo thrown in the mix too, but I knew what that was from the get go.


Chicken/Turkey/Tofu Adobo
1 c soy sauce
1 c apple cider vinegar
2 c water
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tsp pepper
squirt of honey.
Chicken/turkey/tofu/a combo/whatever you have.

-A couple of hours before your going to cook it, brine the poultry.  It really helps to moisten the meat.
             Put some water and salt in a big bowl
             Lay the bird in the water, make sure the water covers it.
             Pat dry when done. The longer you can brine it, the better.

-Combine soy sauce, vingear, water, garlic, pepper and honey in a large skillet. Bring to a boil.
-Lay the chicken/turkey/whatever in a single layer in the skillet, drop the temp to medium low. Cover and cook for 30 mins, turning once.
-Preheat the broiler to high, lay the chicken/turkey/whatever on the pan and broil, close to the heat, 5 mins per side.
-Meanwhile, increase the temp on the pan with sauce to high and let reduce to about 1 cup.
-Serve with rice. Put the sauce over.



Mags states that "this is pretty close" to adobo. I don't think I like it.
I'm not really into soy sauce, and that's exactly what this tastes like. You'd think I would have figured that out looking at the recipe....




Music World:
Monagle had the music controls.
We listened to Fleetwood Mac.
Classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment