Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cleansing, the final countdown.

Tomorrow is Day 10, the official last day! 

Things I learned:
- I can kick my caffeine addiction, but will be jumping back on that wagon ASAP. I just really love coffee. 
- Rice cakes are the best thing ever.
- Things on rice cakes (i.e. avocado, fruit, nut butter, tomatoes, cucumber, Sriracha etc..) push them to an unattainable level of awesome. 
- Quinoa for breakfast is a good thing. 
- Any drink with the title "Liver Flush" and includes olive oil, raw garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper should be avoided. Trust me. 

All jokes aside, I'm very glad I did it. It allowed me to re-evaluate my eating habits and food needs (I'm considering going vegetarian for a while), clean out my liver from the mess that was Folk Fest and discover recipes like this!

Eggplant-Quinoa Roast (From The Yoga Cookbook)

You need:
- 4 tbs sesame oil
- 12 oz Eggplant, cut into thick slices
- 2 tbs Tamari (Soy Sauce- I looked it up for you)
- 1/4 c Lemon Juice
- 1/2 c Water
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 c Quinoa
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 zucchini, grated
- Parsley, to garnish

Preheat oven to 350
Heat the sesame oil in a skillet, then brown the eggplant slices, both sides. Put the eggplant in a baking dish. 
Combine the tamari, lemon juice, water and ginger in a bowl, then pour over the eggplant.
Bake in the oven for 10 mins, turn the eggplant over and put it back in the oven for another 10 mins. 

Put the quinoa and 2 cups water in a pan. Once it boils, turn it down and let it simmer for 10-15 mins. 
Saute the pepper and zucchini until tender, add the quinoa and mix well. 

Spoon the vege/quinoa mix over the eggplant and throw it in the oven for about 10 mins. 
Enjoy! And try not to think about how hippy you are by eating this. 



Music land:
I was just pointed in the direction of the tUnE-yArDs new album, w h o k i l l.  http://tune-yards.com/

Go buy it. Now. 

I can't stop listening, it's funky, peppy, incredibly morbid and low key at the same time. 
I've even added it to my running playlist, which is a very exclusive a mix of Lady Gaga, really terrible disco and Daft Punk (it's the only thing that will get me through, I hate running) but somehow the vocal stylings of Merril Garbus squeeze out that extra mile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment