Saturday, July 30, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

It's blueberry season in Juneau! We decided we had waited long enough, so last Saturday we put on our tank tops and blueberry buckets and ventured off into the woods of North Douglas to see what we could find.

BLUEBERRIES is what we found.
Lots of them. Enough for gin, baking and freezing until later. So, in honor of my 24th birthday this Saturday, I made big, beautiful, blueberry muffins.

Also, I am dedicating this blog post to Kitchen Dance Party's favorite YouTube celebrity: My Drunk Kitchen! (Seriously. We idolize this woman.)

How? By taking ridiculous photobooth pictures of me cooking, of course.

Here's to you, Harto!


Blueberry Muffins
Adapted from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook


3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups greek yogurt, honey flavored
2 eggs
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
Vanilla
1 Tbs lemon zest
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries

Preheat the oven to 375° and pour yourself a glass of "Congratulations, you're baking!" wine.

Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a large bowl.

I used the Kitchenaid because I am LAZY.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest.

 Fold the yogurt mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined.

Until this...

"Dear lord, I hate folding."

.. looks like this!
Fold in the melted butter.

Put the blueberries into a separate container and toss them with 1 Tbs of flour. This is important because Christopher Kimball said it's important.

I will do anything that man tells me to in the kitchen.
Fold the berries into the batter.

Yes, really, more folding.
Spray your muffin tins with a healthy layer of cooking spray and fill each space at least 3/4 of the way full. I usually fill them to the top.

These muffins will be huge!
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are slightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out relatively clean. (It will probably come out purple.)

When they're cool enough to handle, remove them from the pan to a cooling rack. And then put them into your facehole.
You've never seen muffins this cool, man.
Well, there you go. I apologize for not going full-bore on the MDK homage and doing a video post, but I am both terrified by the sound of my own voice and way too LAZY for editing.

Tunes:

A while ago, on a whim, I downloaded a premade playlist of "Indie: Dance/Electronica" music. I has stuff like Bot'Ox, Traks Boys, TROPICS, but I think my favorite song on the whole playlist is "Ofi" by Model 500. Most of this baking process was set to that song at an inconsiderate-to-my-roomates level. 

P.S.:
There is blueberry gin in all of our futures...


No comments:

Post a Comment