Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Asparagus Slaw

Summer is just around the corner. 
I've never experienced a New York summer, but believe me, I've been warned and I live in fear. 

I'm prepping for the complete and utter rejection of any hot foods and building my cold foods list. 

I don't really like traditional coleslaw. too much mayo = no fun at all. 
But the food blogosphere is atwitter with new takes and updates on slaw. 
Here's my humble contribution


Asparagus Slaw
2 bunches asparagus
2 carrots
2 cucumbers
4 green onions, thinly sliced
3 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp Braggs Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
1 lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp parsley, minced
1 tsp raw honey 
2 tbsp unrefined sesame oil 
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
Preparation:
-Boil a pot of water, wash the asparagus and snap off the woody ends. Blanch the asparagus (drop in the boiling water for 5-10 secs, remove and put in a bowl of ice water.
-Julienne or shred the asparagus, carrots and cucumber. Add in onions, toss. 


-Prep the dressing- whisk the tahini, Braggs, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, parsley and honey. Whisk in oil. 
-Pour over the veges, toss to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Let sit for 15-20 mins to get juicy. 
I really really liked this. There was just a tad too much juice, but that is the definition of a first world problem. 


Everyone (i.e. VH1 when it's on the TV at the gym) is talking about The Black Keys, so I finally broke down and gave their new-ish album, El Camino. 
They should be my jams. It's blues-rocky, it's dirty, dark and dance-able. 
But I'm really not digging them. 
Maybe I'm just too late to this bandwagon, maybe they remind me of Kings of Leon a little too much, maybe I've heard too many bands just like them, maybe I'm over the hipster caveman vibe (that's a lie, I'll never be over it) and maybe I'm not a air guitar kind of gal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment