Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Vegan Spiced Coconut and Banana Pancakes (w/ tropical fruit)

New York winter officially baffles me.
One day it's 15, then next it's 55.
I walk out the door equipped with long johns, wool hats and gloves, umbrellas and am never properly ready for the weather.
I'm going to Alaska next week. It's -10 there. It's going to be a major temperature and culture shock.
Making these tropical pancakes didn't help. I'm looking forward to summer. I can't fathom -10 and snow right now.


Vegan Spiced Coconut and Banana Pancakes (heavily adapted from Bon App)


Fruit Salad
- fruit- chopped (if you don't know how to do this, I can't help you)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup

Mix everything, set aside.

Pancakes (makes about 20)
 2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cloves
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp all spice
2 13oz cans light, unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/4 c warm water
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 bananas- mashed
1 Tbsp fresh ginger- minced.
Vegetable oil

- Preheat oven to 250.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a big bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients- milk, water, syrup, vanilla in a smaller bowl.
- Add wet indredients into dry bowl. Stir to mix. Mix in banana and ginger. Add more water if too thick for your tastes.
- Heat griddle over medium high heat, brush with vegetable oil, pour pancakes batter (about 1/4 c batter for each),  flip when small bubbles form in the middle. Cook until golden on both sides, transfer to baking pan and oven until ready to eat.
- Spoon the fruit salad over the pancakes. Or eat with yogurt, peanut butter, syrup, nutella etc... I usually find the toppings the best part of pancakes, but I really really liked these.


One album I'm really excited for is John K Samson's solo album, dropping on Jan 24th.
The song "When I write my Master's Thesis" was NPR's song of the day the other day.
It's really witty, head bopping and makes me stoked to hear the rest of the album next week!




No comments:

Post a Comment