Last year I cooked and controlled the entire Thanksgiving dinner for 8.
It was amazing and crazy stressful.
This year, we went to an Orphan Potluck style.
Only requirements were to bring food and wine.
and more wine.
Toasted Nut Tart (adapted from Bon App)
A different take on Pecan Pie
You'll need a 9' tart pan with a removable bottom. I have one you can borrow.
1 c all purpose flour
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 c butter, room temp.
1/4 c sugar
2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Mix flour, cornstarch, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- In a food processor, beat butter, sugar and powdered sugar until pale yellow. Add egg and beat to blend.
- Add dry ingredients to bowl in 3 batches. Mix to blend. Gather into a ball, flatten in a disc. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour.
Can be made at least 2 days ahead. Keep chilled
- Preheat oven to 375. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12" round. Transfer to pan, press into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Trim the overhanging dough so it's flush and reserve the extras (to patch the crust). Prick the dough all over with a fork and freeze for 10 mins.
-Cover with foil, fill the foil with pie weights (rice or beans work). Bake until edges of crust are starting to turn golden, about 35 mins. Remove the foil and beans, patch any cracks with the remaining dough, return to the oven and bake until golden all over, about 15 mins. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Can be made 1 day ahead, store airtight in pan at room temp. (Only if you don't have roaches...)
|In lieu of rolling pin, use a glass (or wine bottle).|
1/2 c unsalted pistachios, chopped
1/2c hazelnuts, skins rubbed off, chopped. (try to buy without skins, getting them off are a bitch)
1/4c pine nuts
1c packed brown sugar
1c light corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp bourbon
3 large eggs
- preheat oven to 350. Spread nuts out on 3 separate baking sheets. Toast nuts until fragrant and brown (5 mins for pistachios, 10 for pine and 15 for hazelnuts). Remember to toss the nuts throughout the baking and check often, they burn quick.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat, Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. (again, check often, it burns fast (are you noticing a trend here?))
-Stir brown sugar, corn syrup, salt and vanilla in a medium bowl, stir in eggs, browned butter and nuts. Pour into tart shell.
-Bake, rotating halfway through, until filling it set around the edges and jiggles slightly in the center when nudged, about 1 hour. Tent foil over the crust if it gets too brown, cool on a rack.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Sooooo..........I burned it.
I blame my wonky gas oven.
Seriously, keep an eye on those nuts.
New music obsession:
A indie, electronic/pop duo from Saratoga Springs (I spent a month in Saratoga this summer... I'm not surprised that this band comes from there, it's a weird town), I'm really digging their new EP- Nightlife.
I really want to see them in concert. Apparently they incorporate their visual art into their concerts. That is something I can get behind.