Friday, August 10, 2012

"Chikin" Salad


I'm sensing a trend in my posts. I blog about how much I miss a various meat product and then I try to recreate that with vegetables, tofu, seitan or tempeh. And also ignore the needling comments about how eating meat again would make everything much easier. 
Usually these experiments fail, but this "chicken" salad is a winner!
It should be noted though, the only reason why I like chicken and egg salad is because of the mayo, and this has that!
Winner Winner "chikin" dinner!


Tofu Salad (From The Moosewood)
1 cake firm tofu
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp Braggs Amino's
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 tbsp white miso
3 tbsp tahini
1/3 c mayo
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 1/2 c carrots- peeled and grated
1 1/2c red bell pepper- dices
1 1/2 c celery- diced
1/3 c green onion- chopped
1 tbsp fresh dill
salt and pepper to taste

- Crumble the tofu (it helps if it's been frozen and then thawed). Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook the tofu, stirring constantly, until dry, about 5 minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and lemon juice and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. 

Someone got Instagram...

-Whisk the miso, tahini, mayo and mustard in a bowl. Add carrots, bell peppers, celery, scallions, herbs and tofu. Let sit and get juicy for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 

-Try not to eat it all at once, it's supposed to last for a weeks worth of meals. 


Right before my Spotify (now it's just like Pandora..epic fail) trial ran out, I listened to Citizen Cope's newest album, One Lovely Day
I vividly remember my first (and only) Citizen Cope concert. It was at WWU, everyone was embracing the dreadlocks and expressing themselves through the hippy bump and grind. I couldn't dance (still can't), wasn't brave enough to dread my hair and remember being appalled and scandalized that people were smoking INSIDE! 
I wasn't much fun in college. 


So his new album shows that he has aged into the urban folk category. It's pure, updated Americana, a mesh of RnB, acoustic, blues and folk. It's a little slower, more laid back and more complex sounding than his earlier stuff. One Lovely Day now solidly rockets Citizen Cope into into the DSSJ category (ask Val what that means). 
It's a good summer album, it's perfect for grilling on a deck, rocking the day drunk and experimenting with your own hippy bump and grind. I may not have gotten better at dancing, but I've learned the art of not giving a damn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment