Banana Bread (adapted from the Moosewood Favorites)
1 c all purpose flour
|Sign's like this are required when cooking at my house.|
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 c rolled oats
1 egg white
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 c mashed banana (about 3 bananas)
1/2 c plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 c dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 c walnuts, toasted and chopped
1/2 c raisins
-Preheat oven to 400, spray loaf pan with Pam.
-Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking soda and powder, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
-Food process or blender the oats until they reach cornmeal-like status. Add to the dry ingredients.
-Whip the egg white for 3 mins, until foamy and increased volume but not stiff peaks.
-Stir in the egg, oil, banana, yogurt, chocolate, walnuts and raisins.
-Fold the wet ingredients in with the dry ones. DON'T overmix.
-Put the batter in the loaf pan and bake for about 40 mins, do the toothpick thing to check. Cool in the tin for 5 mins and on a wire rack.
Chocolate Pudding! (Also from the Moosewood)
3 Tbsp cornstarch
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Combine the cornstarch, sugar, cocoa powder and milk in a sauce pan. Whisk until smooth.
- Cook over medium high heat, whisking constantly until the pudding comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let the pudding simmer, whisking constantly for 3-4 mins.
- Stir in the vanilla, pour into a bowl and let chill for at least 2 hours.
Low-Fat* Banana Trifle
Vanilla Greek Yogurt
Banana Bread- sliced into 1/2 inch slices
- In a clear pan/jar layer the ingredients in this order: Bread, pudding, banana, yogurt, bread.. and so on.
- Make sure to end with a pudding or yogurt layer, make it look pretty with banana slices/whip cream/melted chocolate/cinnamon mix.
* It would be lower in fat if you cut the good shit out...or if you ate celery instead. "Low-Fat" is a made up term to make us feel good about ourselves and I fully embrace it.
Every time I start to lose faith in humanity, something like the Muppets Green Album comes out. It's really good as inducing childhood nostalgia.
In fact, I'm going to go play in a treehouse.